Fishwick Hall Golf Course is the only course within the boundary of the original Borough of Preston. The Club was founded in 1912 by a group of enthusiastic amateur golfers, whose photographs can be seen in the clubhouse to this day. One of the founder Members Mr Harry Holland remained a member until his death in the early 1980’s, his son survives him as one of the Clubs Vice Presidents.
Fishwick Hall offers a challenging course suitable for all levels of ability, which coupled with excellent catering facilities makes an ideal venue for Society and Corporate outings. The course is set in Parkland with magnificent views of the Ribble Valley part wooded with tree lined airways, water hazards and bounded by the River Ribble. The variation of the holes makes a challenging course.
Another point of interest is that the worlds longest Putt of 166ft 8in was made on the 14th Green at Fishwick Hall Golf Club at a charity event in August 2000, this has been officially ratified by the Guinness Book of Records.
The 10th fairway is situated along the bank of the river opposite the siting of the so called Viking’s Hoard where 10,000 silver coins were discovered. The 16th green is reported to be the highest point in Preston Borough and gives views of the site of the Battle of Preston where Oliver Cromwell fought the Royalists.
It is of interest that Bill Spence who was Fishwick Hall’s Club Professional in the 1970’s led the field in the 1954 Open at Birkdale after the first two days. The ultimate winner was Peter Thomson and Bill finished in an honourable 12th place, behind Peter Alliss but well ahead of the legendary Gene Sarazen.
2012 saw Fishwick Hall Golf Club celebrate its Centenary year. Thanks to a hard working centenary committee this was done in some style, it began with the Captains Handover and ended in a New Year’s Eve Bash that exceeded everyone’s expectations.